Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Painted Furniture from Italy

Often when I am looking for inspiration, I like to look back to reflect and enjoy furniture when it was crafted as an art form not just for utility.  Each year, I fear that me move further and further away from art, in exchange for expeditious efficiency. Our homes are a reflection of ourselves and I believe that incorporating decadence into design is not an option, but a priority.  The time we take to enjoy life to the fullest is in the details.  In honor of detailed decadence, I have elected to share with you some of the finest pieces representing 18th and 19th century Italian furniture.
from the book Antiques in Italian Interiors, Vol. I
I love how each surfaces has its own unique intricacies and that these are employed throughout the entire room.  The walls are frescoed, the Urns are painted and the yellow fabric is textured and divine.
This Dresser is so elegant. I adore the hand carved details in conjunction with the beautifully hand painted facade.  I love the how the glass looks like lace and how the whole piece works delicately as a whole.
Painted Italian Chest of Drawers from 1st Dibs
Price: $7,500
A North Italian Polychrome-Decorated Console Table
mid-18th century, probably piedmont
the serpentine-fronted simulated Breche D'Alep marble top, above a shaped pierced frieze carved with foliate trails, flowerheads and rockwork, the shaped sides carved conformingly, on cabriole legs headed by stylized acanthus, with scrolled feet, partially redecorated and top later
Price: $6,400 - $9,700
19th Century Painted Italian Commode
Price: $12,500
from Sotheby's
A pair of Italian Rococo Mecca and White-painted commodes
Mid-18th century
Price: $25,000 - $35,000
From Sotheby's
A set of four Italian Painted Chairs
Roman, Third-Quarter 18th Century
Each back decorated with floral sprays, the pierced top-and seat-rail carved with rocaille and foliage on cabriole legs joined by stretchers
Price: $9,300 - $12,000

Each of these pieces that I have shared with you can be recreated at home using the Amy Howard at Home® line.  I hope that this look back helps you to look forward with your home design aesthetic.  I hope you are inspired and feel encouraged to incorporate some detailed decadence into your surroundings.  Let these beautiful historical pieces serve as the backdrop for your next creative inclination.











No comments:

Post a Comment