Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cancer showhouse

I was so excited to be asked to decorate the National Cancer Society Show house in Memphis this year. I was able to design and create furniture for an entire  home with no parameters. Yes... all designers dream of jobs like this. I suppose that is why we love doing show houses so much. The drama of drop dead time frames is balanced with the joy of having hundreds of people see your handiwork. This mirrored Madison console has over 380 bevels on it. I love the positioning of a Deco piece with the 18th Century prints. I was leaving one night and had these three marble balls in my hand. I literally played with lining them up and simply loved the look they gave, so I left them there. Always have an element of surprise in a home. I think the biggest mistake that we make as designers or creative people is to be safe and expected. This piece was a total shock in the study. Even the most conservative guest  loved it!
I had an option of putting in bookcases on either side of the fireplace or making over sized chests. You see what I chose. I love symmetry and balance! The painting is by Memphis Artist Nancy Stephenson and notice those cute little trick carnations again on the mantle. I used the zinc pots to pull the grays out of the painting.
Anyone that knows me knows that I get bored easily with furniture styles. I have to mix all periods with lots of finishes and textures. This house was not that large. I decided to keep a neutral palette to make it flow and feel larger. Notice the fabulous cocktail table. It was a new design that we made out of iron and then gilded it in gold and put a cerused oak top on it. YUM. I loved it so much, I made one for my house!
Isn't this so dreamy! The shape of the chair, the Fortuny fabric on the pillow and the print. I am happy to say that I have a dear couple who are the best clients ever.  We placed this in their new home. I cannot wait to show you their home. I am going to be installing it the end of January. So stay tuned. All of the fabric in the showhouse (with exception of the Fortuny) was F. Schumacher.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...STUNNING. I am such a fan of a neutral color palette that says calm and sophisticated, such as this. The juxtaposition of the console with the antique prints is fabulous, and the cocktail table...spectacular!! Thrilled to find and follow your blog ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know where to start, the Madison console you designed is amazing, the 18th century prints, love the commode dressers in the living room, what a great idea! I know you'll raise tons for cancer research because who could resist this house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all so beautiful and serene. I just lost my father to cancer last week and I think its wonderful that you chose to be involved in this. Such a great job

    MJ
    Lucky7Design

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy, love your blog and the Showhouse was gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I do have a question, what color are the walls painted ? I have a new client that needs a warmer, more neutral pallet for her home, it's not huge and it is now a plethora of colors and is too choppy. Do tell? It looks lovely!

    Thanks,
    Cathy Chapman
    CHAPMAN DESIGNS

    ReplyDelete