Friday, December 9, 2011

Collecting and displaying all things typography

As you can tell, I have a collecting obsession. When Gene and I go antiquing, I am always drawn to all things typography. I love taking old documents that have waxed seals and beautiful script, framing them and using them in displays. This is a chest in my family room that I have an array of different things that we have collected. I do enjoy keeping with the theme of things that are gilded in gold. I adore this clock face with a simple acrylic stand. 
I have two of these chests in this room, covered with goodies. It is really important to make sure that you have varying heights and weights of frames and accessories. Notice how they all play off each other. Having composition with oval eye track to allow everything to complement each other. The grody textured lamp was made from an iron fragment. The torchere is 18th century and has a wonderful polychrome finish. The sunburst mirror is from our  collection and has a dirty old mercury mirror in it. I want to encourage you to do make some antique mirror yourself and put into an old frame that you may have. I love the patina of old mercury looking mirror. Check out www.amyhowardathome.com

3 comments:

  1. Amy absolutely stunning!! I love your design style!

    The 12 Days of Holiday Giveaways!! The French Basketeer has a very special offering right now and there are more gifts open to enter!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see what you love to collect is also what you design and sell in your business collections. Lucky you to get to collect and be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lamp is really amazing. It has a beautiful unique base to it.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete