Monday, December 12, 2011

Putti sconces and 18th Century Trumeaus

I love repetition and the impact of having several things shown together. These are a great little carnation that is fuzzy and wonderfully fun. They are officially called Tricks. Yes, tricks! They will last for weeks, if you keep the water fresh. These adorable zinc containers from the Paris Flea market are great to use as vases. I also enjoy putting candles in them when we entertain outdoors.
In my salon  I have trumeaus on both ends of the room. Trumeaus are pronounced Troo-moh

.
Trumeaus are mirrors that have wood carvings or paintings above them. They were originally put in between two windows to reflect the light that came in. If they were used over mantles, you will see where there were sconces that would hold the candles, that would reflect the light. I love the gold leaf detail on this trumeau. If you look at the other end of the room in the next image. I actually purchased these fab early 18th century wood panels and created trumeaus. I painted them bauhaus buff Toscana paint color. Antiqued them and and added trim to go all the way to the base molding. I then added panels of our antique mirror to make them look more like  architectural statements in the room. 

















These are our putti sconces. Putti pronounced Poo-tee, if you look at  those plump little angels seen in Renaissance, Baroque and Rococo art... you will see them everywhere. At an antique shop years ago... I found these wooden fragments that had wings. I thought they would make super lighting. I made of mold of them and cast them in and now gild them in gold and offer them as part of our lighting line. Always make sure to use natural beeswax sleeves on all of your lighting. Good design shows up in the little details!

5 comments:

  1. the sconces are fabulous, and the way the green pops on the mantel is DIVINE!

    smiles
    michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy-
    Great ideas- all!
    Trumeaus are challenging to find and your solution is one I shall have to try.
    Love the zinc pots with Trick carnations- something always elegant about green flowers- and there are not many.
    We've been purchasing nice fragments here and there for the purpose of recasting, but haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm drooling over your putti sconces anything putti gets my vote. I so want to come see your home as a whole so far it looks fantastic and as an antique lover and collector it looks like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just so beautiful. I adore Angel anything, especially scones like these:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how there is tiny plants in little glass containers as decoration. Very cute.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete